Norfolk Arms Hotel, Rundle Street, 1970


Photo taken 04 September 1970

B 20650 State Library photographer On the western corner of Rundle Street (now Mall) and James Place, the Norfolk Arms was established in 1847 and was renovated in 1878, rebuilt in 1916 and renovated in 1976, thereafter operating as a basement venue. Ceased trading in 1990. The building survives. The Sturt cinema, that closed in 1976, is also shown. The hotel circa 1854: www.flickr.com/photos/state_library_south_australia/22796... The hotel circa 1893: www.flickr.com/photos/state_library_south_australia/22378... The hotel in 1915: www.flickr.com/photos/state_library_south_australia/15345... Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.