Eagle Tavern, Hindley Street, 1897


Photo taken 01 January 1897

B 7093 Established in 1846 on the north-east corner of Hindley Street and Bank Street. Rebuilt in 1905 and ceased trading in 1978. The 1905 building still exists, although as a fast food restaurant. The Eagle Hotel in 1937: www.flickr.com/photos/state_library_south_australia/22835... The hotel in 1977: www.flickr.com/photos/state_library_south_australia/23105... "AN EAGLE TAVERN REMINISCENCE. An old colonist states that one of the most interesting personalities connected with the Eagle Tavern in Hindley street in the early days, was Harry Athorn, who kept the house for several years. He was quite a character, and was known by most Adelaide residents. One of his best remembered exploits was in connection with the exciting electoral contest which took place in West Adelaide in the early days, when Sir James Hurtle Fisher was opposed by Mr. Anthony Forster. The latter gentleman received the support of most of the religious denominations, and during the time the poll was open the landlord of the Eagle rode about the streets wearing an immense white choker the ends of which protruded beyond his shoulders on either side the object being to lampoon Mr. Forster. It from is recorded that when it was announced from the balcony of the Exchange Hotel that Mr. Forster was at the head of the poll the partisans of Sir James Fisher rushed the place, pulled down the flags, and tore them into shreds, and indulged in other acts of violence. Finally the rioters were dispersed by mounted police, who charged the mob withdrawn swords." Evening Journal, Thursday 15 January 1903, p3 Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.